Here is an overview of my work ! I realized all sounds and music for this casual game. The release is expected this year. It’s an innovative video game, with a positive game play, and a simple and minimalist design. From the point of view of sound aesthetics, watchwords was : zen, positive, warmth and musicality.
This selection of sounds is from an audio recording of a game session
Sound design, musical design and composition on User Interfaces Screens :
In these extracts, you can hear music scores and atmospheres of the UI screens, essential for :
- providing familiarity and homogeneity to the game,
- giving location informations to the player during his navigation into the game system,
- suggesting to the player what the system expects to him.
There is two type of interactive music here :
The first is horizontal : As there are different areas in the UI screens, the user should easily understand where he is. And Also, he should understand that he has moved to an another area. For this, I create 5 musics corresponding to the 5 areas. Musics are played from their beginning, for each change of area.
The second is vertical : It serves as a feedback for actions that the user performs in an area, by changing the arrangements and the sonority of a music zone. For these events, multiple version of a same music are synchronized, and the system switch from one to an another, depending on the player’s action. This interactivity, gives him a return on his actions and expresses the meaning.
Add to this many sfx sounds (musical or non-musical), constituting all sounds events highlighting the player’s action, or giving system informations, independently from the action of the player.
Let’s play :
Series of music and arrangements :
Rewards SFX exemples :
Main Game Play :
In the main gameplay, we wanted that the player have a feedback on his performances with musical interactivities, in real time. The goal is that the game could be played with eyes closed. I used different musicals tricks to get this efficient feedback :
- Increase or decrease the number of musical instrument according to the level of performance. Several stems are synchronized and activated depending on the state.
- enrichments or restrictions of the melody, chords and arrangements.
- expansion or constriction of the ambitus. Ex : 1 octave for the low state, 2 for the middle state, and 3 for the high performance.
- Increase or decrease auxiliary FX sends levels (exemples : reverberations and delays) : sound space changes depending on the player’s performance.
- Specific sounds, easily identifiable, and related to the extreme states (the lower and the higher performances).
- A series of eight musical notes, for small colorful characters, fixed on the tempo, and available in five performance states (red orange yellow green blue).
- Added to this, the reward signals indicating the transition to a high performance state. high performance signal = I + III + V + VII.
Piece 1 :
Piece 2 :
Piece 3 :
Piece 4 :
I adapted the same music interaction design for each game.
A new modern version :).
Puzzle game :
The sounds here come from a puzzle game where a butterfly must explore a natural territory and raise luminous orbs. The first part takes place in the night environment, the second from 1:24 in the day environment.
Racing game :
Frenetic racing game. The music is also interactive : 10 stems are synchronized. There is a separation between rhythm and melodic instruments, to give more sound feedbacks on acceleration bonus, and performance states.
Hanged to a piano :
Musical game :
Tutorial and Analysis :
Recurring phase of the game, related to the physiological analysis and concentration. I tried to translate the science and analysis aesthetics in audio design, while keeping positive mood.
Music and Emotions :
Music is a fundamental element to transmit emotions in audiovisual production. During this series of specific interactive sequences, major feature in the game, the music should be representative of the emotional states of the avatar. Basically, emotions have a lot of nuances, so it should be more concise as possible to trace the main lines of emotions. Below, excerpts from « emotional » music I’ve made: